IRD is currently supporting 1 project in the Orange-Senqu River basin:
ORASECOM AFD/FFEM. Institutional strenghtening of the commission and national activities, development of capacities and integrated management tools for river basins, implementation of projects/water policy and environment.
The overall objective of the ORASECOM support programme is to improve protection of the natural environment in the Orange-Senqu River basin.
The programme contributes to the ORASECOM Action Plan. The programme focuses on measures to accompany water resource conservation efforts, through the implementation of pollution control strategies and relevant priority projects.
The project consists of the following components:
- Institutional strengthening of ORASECOM
- Transboundary diagnostic analysis
- Preparation of the Strategic Action Program and National Action Plans
- Basin wide stakeholder involvement activities
- Projects on environmental flows, irrigation sector reforms, community-led range land management
- Project management
The international cooperating partners are the EC – European Commission
and the BMZ – Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
The project duration is from 2004 to 2006.
River Basin Organizations
- ORASECOM – Orange-Senqu River Commission