The European Union (EU) provides project support to ORASECOM aimed atstrengthening ORASECOM as an Institution and building its capacity to deliver on its mandate.
To do this, the support programme is undertaking a number of studies aimed at helping ORASECOM to clarify the form and extent of its technical advisory role, and the scope and nature of the Basin Wide Plan. This includes working with the organisation to identify appropriate institutional form and functions, an analysis of the legal mandate and how this aligns with SADC wide and existing bilateral arrangements. The project will also work with ORASECOM structures and the Member States to ask the key question; “What can ORASECOM do with respect to improved management of the water resources of the Orange-Senqu River System to compliment the efforts of Member States and the existing bilateral Organisations in the Basin?”
- Specific Training Courses;
- The development and piloting of an Aquatic Ecosystem Health monitoring programme;
- A fitness for use assessment of the waters of the basin;
- A framework for water quality monitoring; and
- Urban pollution management studies.
The EU support also includes support to improving and structuring ORASECOM’s communication functions.